Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Onions

Onions are I think one of the few things most sites have year round. Huruta, my site, is said to be the place where all onions in the country come from.

I believe it.

When the onion market comes to town after the harvest, so late September/early October, many sellers have to move because the towers of onions take up so much space. These piles are huge.

Onions here are called kai shinkirt or red shinkirt (garlic is called nach shinkirt or white shinkirt) and are used in pretty much every single meal the Ethiopians cook.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I would love to go to a market in Ethiopia...the food sounds tasty.

Melanie Stanford said...

My husband would not like Ethiopian food- he hates onions! I'm a fan though. I'd love to stroll around one of those markets. :)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like onions are important.

Post a Comment