Monday, April 14, 2014

L is for Lalibela

Lalibela is a city in north Ethiopia named after a king who spent some time abroad and then came back to oust his half-brother from the throne. But when you talk about Lalibela, its usually about the town and not the king.

Lalibela is known for it's stone churches which are not built from stone, but carved from them. It's a complete mystery how they were done, the common lore is that angels did it, but there's another theory that the Knight Templar had a hand in them. Regardless, the town is once of Ethiopia's most visited, and most expensive, tourist sites.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Lalibela is on my list. Have you been there?

Anonymous said...

It's the 14th day of the #atozchallenge and I am out blog hopping today. Glad I stopped by.You are a brave girl traveling the world. Stay safe and keep writing. If you have time or interest, I am writing about gardening this month. Come see me.

Post a Comment