Tuesday, April 8, 2014

G is for Gorsha

Physical affection isn't very common here. In Huruta, I never see couples holding hands and I've never seen my landlords even share a peck on the cheek. Hugs are one of the mysteries of the world. I didn't even realize two teachers at my school were married because they sometimes don't even say 'hi' when they meet in the lounge when he is going back home and she is coming to work the second shift.

Enter the gorsha.

Gorsha is when someone picks up a handful of food (cuz we don't use silverware here) and then feeds it to you. During a meal, you can expect to get maybe seven or so from your husband. If you're child, you can go a whole meal without using your hands and just be feed like a baby bird.

There's an art to it, what with aiming and picking up the right amount. It freaked me out at first, when my host sister in Eteya just stuck this piece of bread in my face saying 'bi' and expecting me to eat it. I...can feed myself, thanks.

Even now, I don't accept them aside from joking with other PCVs, and I think it's hilarious when Dani puts up a fight with Tadeck about a gorsha when she's upset with him. Refusals are rare.

2 comments:

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Fascinating :) Giving food to a guest sounds like a very eloquent sign of respect.

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
Multicolored Diary - Tales of colors
MopDog - The crazy thing about Hungarians...

Corinne said...

What an interesting post. I think you are leading a fascinating life in Ethiopia. I love reading about it.

Post a Comment